Monday, August 25, 2014

Full Circle

DSC_0083

I am feeling reflective tonight as I get ready to curl into bed.  Tomorrow I embark on my second year back to work.  This brings about mixed emotions as summer comes to a close.  Teaching last year was so fulfilling and provided me with an amazing outlet for the “teaching” side of me that has been hidden all these years.  I struggled with balancing work and family life, and finding time for everything.  One of my biggest goals this year is to find a balance between my own kiddos and my school needs.  I want to make sure I am still carving out time for my family, to pack lunches, and do some of the other mommy jobs that I really do enjoy.  That being said, I have a lot of new ideas and projects I want to explore this year with the students.  But, balance will be my main goal. 

This summer ended up flying by, but it also was a real treat for me.  I got to be a “stay at home mommy” again, and I really relished the chance to hang out with my kids.  Did they drive me nuts at time?? OF COURSE, Did I want to pull my hair out some weeks?? YEP.  Overall though we had so much fun together.  It was so nice to plan activities with them and enjoy taking them to the pool and the beach.  We made quite a bucket list, and only crossed off about half of the items.  I think I was feeling a little ambitious after working for a year.  I still have lots of summer memories to share here, so stay tuned.

DSC_0106   

I had to postpone the beginning of the school year for some medical issues I have been facing.  Years ago I had surgery to clean up some endometriosis that had built up after having Bradley.  In the two years I haven’t been nursing Grace my endometriosis had come back full throttle.  After trying different types of birth control and a failed IUD I was at my wits end this past school year.  Each cycle was getting shorter and shorter, with tremendous amount of bleeding and other side effects.  After two different discussions with my local doctor she suggested I have a partial hysterectomy.  The first time this surgery was suggested I was shocked.  I didn’t feel emotionally or mentally prepared for this surgery.  But, after another year of suffering we came to the conclusion that this was my bet for a future of health and happiness.  It is hard to believe that the same girl that cried and sobbed about having more children would have three healthy children and seven years later have a hysterectomy.  We traveled to Richmond to a top notch doctor who was able to perform the procedure laparoscopically.  I am still swollen and tender, but I am getting better day by day.  I am looking forward to many years where my endometriosis doesn’t control my life in the way it has in the past. 

Tomorrow my house will be filled with eager preschoolers, and I am so happy to have this behind me and for all of the adventures this year will hold!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

So proud of you! You are an awesome Mama, teacher, friend, and most importantly sister! XOXOXO So glad you are on the mends now!