Sunday, March 2, 2014

Back to Reality

Wow!  After writing about sunshine and relaxing I got hit with a dose of reality.  First chris jetted off to Las Vegas for “work” for a week while I manned the fort at home.  A week of school, kids, and jet lag I was exhausted by Friday.  Chris has no sooner landed at home before I started feeling bad on Friday night.  He wasn’t home an hour before I got the most awful stomach virus ever.  Then it slowly picked off each person in our house one by one.  Thank goodness Gracie didn’t get it!  It was terrible, and our second stomach bug this winter!  We have not been lucky on the sickness front at all.  Before I complain too much though, I wanted to share the last few pictures from our trip. 

Chris and I did A LOT of eating while we were in Hawaii.  The food was amazing, and such a mix of American cuisine and Asian influence and fresh seafood.  You couldn’t go wrong…

IMG_3250

Yes, I admit that we became “those people” and we took pictures of our food!  We went to a fabulous restaurant called Roy’s and it was one of the best meals we have ever eaten.  We loved it so much that we actually went back again on Friday with Jessica and Wes just to prove to them that the food was THAT good!  This we my favorite dinner and I am that boring person that ordered it again when we went back on friday; Prawns with lobster ravioli!

IMG_3251

We told them that it was our anniversary and they had a special dessert for us on Friday too!  I still can’t believe that it has been 10 years!

IMG_3309

IMG_3254

We did work off all of that food by going running almost every day in the gorgeous weather.  Before we went to our last amazing dinner Friday night Chris and I went on a gorgeous hike up to Mona Falls.  Mona Falls is a National Park right near Waikiki and Jurassic Park and Lost have been filmed there.  I can see why because the forest looks so mysterious and magical.  Unfortunately it rained on us for most of the hike, but we still had fun sliding up and down the mountain of mud to reach the falls.

IMG_3302

 

DSC_0356

This is not the best picture but you can see how soaked we are!

DSC_0269

One of the days we rented a jeep and took a tour around the island just stopping at different places.  Jessica and Wes came with us and she knew about this famous stop called Leis Point.  It is in a lot of movies!  It was breathtaking.  The picture doesn’t do it justice of how crazy and big the waves were when they crashed into the wall of rock.  I think my iphone caught a better picture of how big and powerful the water was there!

IMG_3275

DSC_0259

We stopped at Chinamen’s Hat too!

Then we took the Jeep farther up the island to the pipeline and the North Shore to see the big surfing waves!  I have never seen anything like it!  There was actually a competition going on that day, so we stayed and watched the surfers for awhile.

This is a picture from the Pipeline.  It was starting to rain again, but there was actually one guy out surfing in those waves.  Could you imagine?

DSC_0288

DSC_0304

I took a ton of pictures at the North Shore, but it is hard to get a sense from the photos just how big the waves were!

DSC_0311

I don’t know if we will ever be back!  It is just so so far away and so very expensive.  We felt so lucky the whole time we were there, and it was just what we needed after such a long year of job changes, worries, and stresses with Gracie.  It gave us lots and lots of time to relax, reconnect, and take in a beautiful world that is so very different from our little town. 

Aloha Hawaii!

3 comments:

Katie Arnold said...

I'm so glad you got this opportunity, Clare! I have always wanted to go to HI, but I agree with your sentiments about the distance and expense--not sure we'll ever make it (not during this season, certainly!). Shaun was there for work last spring and while he enjoyed it, he says that there are plenty of just as nice, tropical destinations much closer that rival HI...without the plane ride and cost!

Lindsay said...

I am so glad you guys had fun!! What a memorable trip!!

amanda said...

good ole reality :)

looks and sounds like you guys had an amazing time! joe and i have both been but not together - lilly asks to go every other day!! guessing we will make the trip someday!

hope all is well friend :)