Tuesday, April 16, 2013

13.1

DSC_0185

I actually was going to post about my half marathon this week.  It was on my mind to share my journey, thoughts, and excitement over finishing the race last weekend.  Then Monday happened.  I’m left with a feeling of sadness, along with the rest of the country. 

Before children when huge events occurred, like 9/11, I was glued to the TV.  Images, thoughts, news, people, videos.  I just wanted to understand the situation.  Even when the VT massacre occurred, Bradley was just a baby and he slept most of the day, so I watched the news non-stop.

Now I have bigger kids, and my first reaction is to turn the TV OFF.  Honestly, I saw people posting about the bombings on facebook, but I knew if I turned on the news it would be on a continuous loop.  I don’t want Bradley or Ellie even seeing the images.  The scary sounds.  The people screaming. 

I don’t want them to think our country is a scary place.  That bad people are creeping around every corner.  My family was just at the finish line of a much smaller race last weekend.  My husband and my parents and my children, cheering me on, watching me race by with a quick wave.  I would love to say that it could never happen here.  But, it seems that the bad is every where.  Now when these events occur I just think of my children.  What is their world going to be?  How can I raise them to make this world a better place?  Would they run away or run to help a fellow person who was injured? 

This is what I think about now when the bad things happen.  My children.  My three happy go lucky kids.  How can I keep them that way for as long as possible???

DSC_0184

To all of the runners, families, and friends that were just watching a beautiful moment with their loved ones or cheering on strangers I will be thinking and praying for you.

To Bradley, Ellie, and Gracie, I love you.  I know you will make this world a better place.  Thank you for coming to my race with Daddy.  You are my little lights and I was so thrilled to see your faces by the finish line.

My final Garmin Stats

Distance:   13.19 mi

Time:       1:58:55

Avg Pace:   8:57 min/mi

Elevation Gain:   840 ft  (Worst HILLS Ever!)

Calories:   1,352 C  (not bad!)

 

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

So proud of you! I love you! You are right our kids will make a difference in the world and I too turned off the tv, radio, etc. for the past 2 days!

Jenny said...

What a great accomplishment Clare! You look amazing too.

It is so sad..just made me kiss and hold my babies a little closer.

Colleen Anthony said...

congrats Clare - you did awesome!!! I know. I had the same mentality about happening here and then it did. just awful. I'm still freaked out with all that is coming out about it.

Colleen Anthony said...

congrats Clare - you did awesome!!! I know. I had the same mentality about happening here and then it did. just awful. I'm still freaked out with all that is coming out about it.