Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Little Moments of 2012

DSC_0215

I sort of relish the moment after the holidays.  The craziness has settled down.  The toys have new homes.  The Christmas stuff is finally packed away and I can evaluate my life. 

What happened in 2012?  What are my hopes and dreams for 2013?

I definitely have a lot of personal goals for 2013.  But, it is great to look back on the moments that happened in 2012.

We started 2012 with this little munchkin

DSC_0263-2

Kind of hard to believe she went from that to this…

DSC_0210

It really puts things in perspective. 

This past year was still spent in baby land and it was tough at times.  We spent some time trying to do all things baby, but still be a family.  Which could result in sleeping in a swing at a restaurant on a late Saturday evening in the spring….

IMG_0287

I’m so glad we have pictures to remember it all.  It just goes by too fast.  Especially when you are caring for other children at the same time.  Man I love this little girl, but I hardly remember her this tiny!  And that was just not too long ago!

IMG_0277

The biggest boy went from all things preschool to all things Kindergarten.  Double sigh.

DSC_0349

He just had his first sleepover last night.  What?!!  I know it is crazy that this little one is old enough to camp out in the basement with his buddy.  He graduated from preschool, who could forget that?

DSC_0418

And then drove off to school on a bus just three months later.

DSC_0587

This middle little one went from a two year old Minnie lovin toddler…

DSC_0150-2

To a fully potty trained 2 1/2 year old that makes us laugh daily!

DSC_0200

Yep, most of my summer was spent watching this child sit on the potty with an iphone or ipad in her hands.  That and some sweet moments in the sun that I won’t soon forget.  Sometimes it isn’t the big moments that stick out.  The birthdays were special, the beach trips were great, but picking peaches at the farm behind our house, Simply divine.

IMG_0477

This year was big for me as well.

IMG_0335

I spent most of 2012 learning to be a mom to three very small children.  Some days (probably most days) that got the best of me.  I noticed that for this year I posted on my blog a lot, lot less.  Not because I didn’t want to, I just didn’t have the time or energy to tackle it.  I took by far the least amount of pictures of my children.  The daily grind caught up with me most nights and I would be off to bed or still cleaning up from our day. 

But, I did spend a lot of 2012 working on myself.  I put in the time and energy to work out daily.  I am probably the strongest I have felt in a long time both inside and out. 

All this leads me to my goals for 2013.  I couldn’t start off the new year without them!

  • more posts. period.  I have loved my blog.  It is my letter to my children.  There are so many things I haven’t even shared yet about the holidays and I don’t want the moments to pass by.  They are too important.  And clearly I forget how fast they grow (based on those itty bitty pics of Grace from last January).
  • more pictures of my kids. period.  I have got to grab my camera more and more often.  It is always in the kitchen, but I have been going to it less and less.  Again, I just don’t want to forget all of this! 
  • get my craft on.  I have a ton of projects that I want to tackle in 2013.  clothes for the girls, dresses for the girls,  applique, take a sewing class, learn more about using a sewing pattern, make myself an outfit or skirt, the list goes on and on in the crafting department.
  • knitting (I know more crafting:)  I have a scarf for Bradley that is half done in the family room.  It has been there for months.  Got to get on that and move on to a few other half finished projects!
  • run and run.  I have my half marathon in April and I am looking forward to it.  I joined a running group and have gone on some of the runs with them.  Chris bought my a Garmin Forerunner for Christmas and I love it!  I want to really use it with my training and get myself faster and stronger.
  • play with my kids.  I spent so much of 2012 nursing and caring for a little baby.  I just want to say Yes more and more often.  make forts.  do make believe.  just be with them.  whatever they are doing, just join in.  meet them where they are without an agenda all the time. 
  • get more video with their little voices.  Ellie has started “reading” this little book about animal babies every night.  I’m not sure what the infatuation is with that book, but I keep saying that I need to video her reading it and then I forget.  that little toddler voice is so precious.
  • I am sure there is more to work on, but that is a good list for now!

Cheers to 2013!!

Love, Clare

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Looks like a great list Clare! I can't wait to see some of the finished projects! Sammy has been LOVING his angry bird towels after bath time!

Jodee said...

Clare -- You look amazing! I am so proud of you for taking the time to exercise daily!

I am sure you were in survival mode this year with three littles, however, each year will get easier and I am sure 2013 is going to be a great year for you and your family!

Happy New Year to you and your sweet family!

Colleen said...

Happy New Year Clare! You had a great year! you should be so proud of yourself with the runs in that craziness of learning life with three!

My friend just started a facebook group for running motivation. Let me know if you are interested and I'll add you.

amanda said...

so proud of you friend! 2012 was totally your year!!