Monday, November 5, 2012

The Best Last First Birthday Bash

Yep, you read that right (if it made any sense?)  There sadly won’t be another “First Birthday” celebrated in our house.  We have had our share, and Gracie’s was the cherry on top.  There is something about the first birthday party that is so special.  It is almost a celebration for both the parents and the baby too.  

DSC_0382

And I must say, after this world wind year with three children under the age of five, I had a lot to celebrate.  I made it through the mommy marathon.  I survived two pregnancies, two c-sections, and two births in 2010 and 2011.  I survived an entire 12 months worth of getting up multiple times a night, just one time a night, or not sleeping at all.  I nursed babies for most of the past three years.  I have been pregnant or nursing a baby since June of 2009.  Wow, that is a long time people!  Let’s just say that I am MORE than happy to have my sleep and my body back, and even more happy to no longer have someone under the age of 12 months living in our house.  We can only go up from here!!  Now don’t get me wrong, I am going to look back and miss the baby stages.  I even admit I saw a friend with her 9 week old and thought, maybe I could do it one more time.  Then I shook my head and figured I just lost my mind for a moment.  It has been fun having a baby in the house, but I am ready to move on from this stage.  Bradley is turning six soon, and he is just so so much fun!  I can’t wait until we are all more mobile again, not so tied down to naps, tantrums, and dirty diapers.  When picking up and leaving the house is not such a hard thing to do.  I am excited for the future, what is around the bend for our family of five.

Well enough with my mommy celebration, and on to the important stuff, like the sweet Pink Polka Dot Birthday Bash!

 

DSC_0343DSC_0344

I made these felt circle garlands on my new sewing machine.  The sewed up so quick and looked so cute hanging up around the house!  We also got amazing sugar cookies from One Preppy Cookie for party favors.  They were so so adorable.  Amy and I both went to Virginia Tech together and she is very talented.  You can check out her work here.

DSC_0342

DSC_0346

The entire day was all about Gracie.  First we got all dressed up and headed to church to have Gracie baptized.  I am also emotional during baptisms, it is such a beautiful and special moment.  The dress that Grace was wearing has been in my Dad’s side of the family since the late 1800s.  It was 116 years old this year!  Each person that has been baptized in it, has their name written on a piece of paper that is kept with the dress.  It is one of my favorite family traditions, and I loved getting to write in my three little ones names on that awesome list!

DSC_0301DSC_0297

DSC_0304DSC_0302

It is hard to get pictures inside the church with so many people there.  But these are few from our family standing at the altar and the congregation singing to Grace as pastor Doug walked her up and down the aisle. 

Then we headed back home and attempted a family picture on the front porch.  First with our family and then with all of the kids…

DSC_0332

Literally out of 17 pictures this is the best one.  Sigh….  I had to include just to prove that we all had on dresses, tights, cute hair styles, and matching shoes.  Too bad I couldn’t make the kids have cooperative attitudes for the day too.

DSC_0322

And just another one to show that life isn’t always as it seems.  Ellie decided to hold a revolt in front of everyone while Bradley attempted to hold Gracie over the tile walkway.  Oh boy.  We wrapped it up after this shot.

DSC_0319

sometimes I feel like that too Ellie!!! don’t we all?!!!

Gracie was a peach for her whole celebration and baptism though.  She loved hearing her birthday song, we had been practicing at home so she wouldn’t be scared, and all of the big kids helped her open her gifts.  Here are some of my favs…

DSC_0369

DSC_0349

DSC_0350

DSC_0334DSC_0375

DSC_0381

DSC_0383

DSC_0389

not much eating, but a lot of smashing!!

DSC_0391

DSC_0397

DSC_0423DSC_0427

Out for a birthday stroll in her new pink buggy!

DSC_0503

DSC_0498

More sweet Gracie stories coming soon!  I am sure you are on pink polka dot overload right now!

6 comments:

Jodee said...

Happy birthday to your sweet girl. Love the polka dot party!

amanda said...

happy happy one sweet girl!! looks like the perfect day!

Colleen said...

Clare I can hardly believe she is 1! It seems like yesterday you were pregnant. Everything looks so adorable. love the bday crown!

laura said...

i cannot, cannot, believe she is one. time flies when you're having fun, huh?!

looks like a wonderful celebration of your girl. i thought i loved the one of her and chris and the cake the most, but then i saw the one with bradley in there too...all sweet and big brotherly, helping blow out her candle and it melted my heart.

and we loved our one preppy cookies too!! :)
xo!

amy said...

Clare,

THE PARTY IS JUST PRECIOUS but especially GRACE is! So, so cute...everything. Thanks for having me be a part of it! I really hope we can get together soon and I can trade you a cookie lesson for a sewing lesson. :) xo

Lindsay said...

Beautiful pictures! Grace is so precious! Her birthday party was beautiful!!