Sunday, July 22, 2012

Crafty Crafty-Ness

DSC_0239

I obsess about the house.  Every room.  Every detail.  Moving pictures this way and that.  Selling tables, old baby items, piling up books and old pillows for Goodwill.  I don’t know where it is all coming from.  Part of it is being home SO much.  When your home is like your office you notice every detail and you want things to look a certain way.  The other part of the obsession is knowing that this will be our forever home.  And if not forever, then for a long, long time.  That feeling is so great!  It inspires me to think long and hard about the house.  What do I want it to look like?  What do I want to feel when I walk into each room?

Chris and I made a deal that we would “work” on three major house items a year.  It is just so expensive to do it all, and I seem to do well just setting smaller goals at a time.  This year was…the front porch furniture (that we love by the way!!), the dining room, and a new family room rug (thanks to the kids the light cream rug was not looking so hot).  We have finished all three projects and I am so happy with how everything turned out!

DSC_0243DSC_0245

I finally finished up the dining room this weekend.  I really wanted something that would compliment the curtains in the family room, but I didn’t want to do another floral curtain.  I found this pattern and I fell in love!  I actually used the same exact rod pocket sewing pattern that I used with the family room curtains, but I added eight inches to the length because I wanted them to puddle on the floor. 

DSC_0250

I think they look great when you stand in the kitchen and see one set of curtains and then look in the dining room you can see how they coordinate.  I will say that completing eight panels, the added length, and having one more child to take care of made these curtains a true labor of love.  They took me over a month to complete, working on them little by little.  I was only able to do one part of the curtain at a time, I was just so tired at night.  And forget about trying to work on them during the day!  That’s not going to happen!

DSC_0107

While I was in the middle of this project, Chris recovered our dining room chairs with a coordinating blue fabric.  I forgot to get a close up, but I will soon so you can see them!  They turned out great…Thanks babe!

DSC_0122DSC_0121

I also decided to do away with all of my old rooster/kitchen stuff.  They didn’t go with this house, and it was time for them to find other rooster loving homes.  I replaced the two photos near the kitchen table with coral prints that I found online, and then I distressed the frames to give them a softer look.

I decided to add some new things in the kitchen…

DSC_0126 

One wall now houses the kids handprints.  They turned out really cute.  Three white canvases + paint + sweet little hands = cute wall art!  The other side is going to have some new “subway art” that I purchased from etsy.  It hasn’t arrived yet, I can’t wait!!

In other crafty craftiness I made this wreath for the front door a long while ago…when Grace was just three months old.  I had big plans to do a post about how I made it and my new obsession with felt flowers and just how easy they are to make.  But, seeing as I can hardly put a post together lately, the pictures will have to do (only six months later).

DSC_0259

DSC_0262

DSC_0263

This was actually so fun to make!  I made it one night when I was watching a movie and it was so easy!  I hope to make some more, or some themed wreaths with the same idea this fall.  Now that the curtains are done, I can move onto the next crafty thing….suggestions??

Love, Clare

4 comments:

Colleen said...

I love it all Clare! The drapes came out so nice and I love the wreath. very pretty colors you chose.

Lindsay said...

Your next project should be helping your younger sister that has no style sense at all.. just saying ;-)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the curtains!! That is my kind of print :-)

amanda said...

drapes that puddle?? i swoon!!

Laural Out Loud said...

You are SO talented! I love your curtains so much that I'm totally going to steal the look for when we move to Brazil (next summer). The pattern is to die for. And the wreath is awesome!