Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sweetness of Summer

IMG_0298

You can almost taste the sweetness of summer these days.  The cool air is slowly turning warm, the sun is shining longer and longer in the evening, and the flowers are blooming all around us.  Lucky for us all of this beautiful weather has made the strawberries jump out earlier this year!  We made it over to the strawberry patch a few weeks ago for our first haul.  This beautiful patch is literally minutes behind our house.  I love this picture, but it doesn’t even do it justice…taken with my iPhone.  The mountains, the green fields, and the rows and rows of strawberries.  I feel so blessed to live nestled near the mountains, close to larger city and all that is has to offer, a neighborhood full of kids and a town center with all the amenities, and then local farms at our back door.  Life is sweet!  I hope our children grow up to fall in love with all that our area has to offer.  I know they may wish for the city and its hustle and bustle someday, but there is something to be said for a slower pace of life.

IMG_0296

Bradley was a rock star and picked only the sweetest and ripest berries.

IMG_0300IMG_0297

Chris did some serious manual labor and picked a whole tray of strawberries while Ellie followed behind him eating them one by one.  She was a strawberry monster and there was nothing that could stand in her way between her and the thousands of strawberries at her disposal.  I’m surprised the farm didn’t charge us extra just based on the way she looked when we got back from the fields.  She was covered in strawberry juice, it was cemented to her arms, hair, and every possible part of her clothing!

IMG_0301 

Sweet Grace was along for the trip too. I had forgotten to nurse her before we left, so I pulled the wagon over to the edge of the field and fed her.  Oh third child, I am so sorry.  It was a little warm, and I didn’t have a blanket.  I had to cover her with the Eurgo carrier and make myself look as inconspicuous as possible.  I’m not sure if I pulled it off, but I tried.  I didn’t want to miss out on the fun just to go back to the car to feed her!  The things that you do with the third that you never would have chanced with the first.  It makes me laugh now how hung up I was about feeding Bradley in private and making sure I was properly covered.  Motherhood definitely grows on you over the years and you get more and more comfortable with just going with the flow (so hard for me, but I am trying!!).

IMG_0302

Any trip to the strawberry patch wouldn’t be complete without a pit stop for strawberry donuts (I know, YUMMM!) and some soft serve ice cream.  Bring it on summer!!!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

this makes me want to go strawberry pickin! I can't wait for that. It's been so cool here. I'm so ready for warmer weather. Ellie is priceless in these pictures!

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura said...

have i told you lately how much i love your town?! will be there 3 times between mid july and mid september. all for weddings and such, but maybe we can grab coffee on the corner???

p.s. i distinctly remember pushing syd on the swings at a playground while nursing ben under the hooter hider. oh, the joys of the second (and third!) child! ha!