Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Little Moment to Breath

DSC_0426

I am finally getting a chance to sit down and jot some thoughts at 10 pm on a Sunday night.  Life has been busy.  I know we use that term a lot, but I feel like I can truly say it with meaning.  Taking care of three children is not a job for the lazy.  Motherhood is an all encompassing position.  When you have a toddler that gets into everything in the house, and newborn that requires massive amounts of time to sit and nurse life can get interesting.

DSC_0428 

I am doing my best to take it all in and just go along for this crazy ride.  A mighty hard task for a perfectionist A type personality.  Chris was sweet enough to snap these pictures on the eve of Thanksgiving.  We were making handprint turkeys with the big ones, while Grace napped (check out the monitor in the background…)

DSC_0419

I have been doing my best to get creative around the house.  We have been home bound a lot.  Who wants to take our crew anywhere besides a short walk to the playground?  There is a lot of divide and conquer between Chris and I.  Chris with the big ones while I nurse the baby, or me giving the big kiddos their bedtime bath while Chris rocks Grace during the witching hour.  Pretty much that is life around here.  I wouldn’t change it for the world.  But, I will admit I have a countdown in my head to the upcoming weeks when things get a little bit easier.  When Grace can nurse more quickly, when we are getting sleep at night, and when all three of my children go to bed at seven and I don’t see them again until seven the next morning.  That will be a sight to be seen.

DSC_0398

I nurse this little babe at night and think about creative blog posts about newborn life.  Topics I would love to write about once I had the time…sleeplessness-its cruel, the truth about postpartum, breastfeeding is hard, babies are awesome, how do people have four kids?, the list goes on and on…

I think “Life in a Haze” would best describe the past five weeks.  I have hardly pulled out my camera.  I have had “Four week Photo Shoot” on my list of things to do for a week.  This picture on the changing table was the best I got…back to life in a haze. 

As much as I am talking about being tired, Grace is actually doing really well.  She is definitely fussy and doesn’t settle between  8 or 9 until 11 or 12 am.  Once I can get her settled she is usually down for the night!!  Usually she will only wake up around 4 for a quick feeding and then back to sleep until 7 or 8.  The trickiest part is getting her down for the night.  There is a lot of rocking, swaddling, bathing, massaging, nursing, bottle feeding, we will pretty much do anything for those four hours to get her to bed.  She will fall asleep easily in your arms, but the transition to the bed just doesn’t happen.  Often she falls asleep in the bouncy seat with it on and then I go turn it off once I know she is asleep.

There have been a few horrible nights, and I mean horrible.  Chris and I both living on three to four hours of sleep and just laughing at the state of our lives and our bloodshot eye balls!  There have also been some nights when she nursed at 11 and didn’t wake up once until 7…heaven!!

Grace during the daytime is absolute BLISS.  I have NEVER had a baby like her.  Maybe I am more laid back, maybe it is her personality, maybe I just feel more confident? 

DSC_0400

She feeds in the morning, I let her look around at the kids for a few minutes, I swaddle her up and lay her down.  She yawns a few times and falls asleep.  I’m Not kidding!  No rocking, no pacifier, just yawns and puts herself to sleep.  She will usually nap for THREE hours!  It is unbelievable.  This cycle will repeat itself a few more times throughout the day.  Every once in a while she is a bit harder to get down for her nap, but she is a great napper so far.  I hope it keeps up!  It is the only way I am able to keep up with the other two and grab a wink of rest in the afternoon.

She rarely cries more than once or twice and then she seems to patiently wait until you come and get her.  Just the sweetest little baby I have ever had. 

That is my life right now in a nutshell.  Babies, milk, crafts, and children…

I hope to get some posts about the holidays and my wonderful son turning FIVE next week!  Oh yeah, and that four week photo shoot too!!  Off to bed!

Love, Clare

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Awww she is getting big so fast!! Glad to hear you are surviving some of those tough moments!

Jenny said...

Right there with you momma! Some days are better than others..We are currently having a good day!

Happy early birthday to your sweet Bradley!

Lindsay said...

aww love all of these pictures!! Missed you guys last week! I am coming on Friday to help out.. as long as we are all healthy :-P Can't wait for the party!

amanda said...

it's next to impossible to be a perfectionist and a mama at the same time isn't it friend? i know all too well :)

hope you guys had a wonderful thanksgiving!!