Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Adventures of Childhood

DSC_0150

I love days when we just stay home.  No agenda.  No rushing back to put baby sister down for her nap.  No driving to town to meet friends.  Just us.  Our neighborhood.  And one great adventure.  I know these days are numbered for me and my littles.  Bradley will be in pre K next year, and our lives will be busy with another baby in the house.  I have turned down play dates lately, and found myself sticking closer to home.  It is also just the simplicity of it.   I get sick of all of the running around.  Life is sweet, and I just want to soak it up.  Not feel rushed.

After morning naps, chores around the house, and Bradley’s first experience with shrinkie dinks (do you remember those?!!) we decided a walk down to the creek would be great fun.  Here we are.  Just me and my little family walking down the gravel path.

DSC_0156

You never know what you might need on your adventure.  A soccer ball and some Keen’s are necessities.  The baby joins us of course.  She is always game for a walk in the stroller.

DSC_0158

Her necessities are a sun hat, pacifier, and veggie sticks of course.  Don’t forget new stride rite sandals that get kicked off in the first five minutes of our adventure.

DSC_0159 - Copy

Then the big boy finds something worth investigating further.  The soccer ball has now been abandoned. 

DSC_0160 

This is all very exciting, but we decide to go further up the creek to see what else we can uncover.

DSC_0171

After a long walk and some rocky gravel stroller pushing, we find it.  The perfect creek spot.  Can you tell by the big one’s face?

DSC_0166

After some encouragement he makes his way into the creek.  Deeper and deeper by the minute.  The water had to be freezing, but he insisted that it “wasn’t too cold mama.”   Next he discovered the lost childhood art of rock throwing.  The bigger the rock, the bigger the splash.  He even would find two rocks and make a game to see which one would give us the biggest splash. 

DSC_0176

DSC_0163

I think once his feet started to freeze, he took his rock throwing to higher ground.

DSC_0179

DSC_0181

I have been loving these moments lately.  The no agenda time tables.  The warm sun and the fresh breeze has been calling me.  Get out and explore our beautiful neighborhood and all it has to offer. 

Bradley decided on the way home that our new favorite creek spot is WAY better than the playground.  We will be back.  That is a given.

I don’t want Bradley to miss the adventures of childhood because we are so busy carting, rushing, driving, etc.  It is nice to be home.  Home for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Relish it.  I definitely struggle with this in motherhood.  The balance of it all.  Exposing him to different sports, people, and social situations, and balancing it with just plenty of free time at home. 

I think this week, we hit the sweet spot.

Hope your week starts of wonderful.  We are in for a week of rain.

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a great creek spot! We love throwing rocks into the creek behind Tim's parent's house!

laura said...

what a perfect day. sometimes less really is more! ;)

Laural Out Loud said...

This post totally reminds me of where I gerw up! I miss it so much, especially now that I have kids growing up in the city.

My best days are the ones where I go with the flow!

Jenny said...

Great pictures and adventures Clare...I could not agree more! Your kiddos are very lucky to have a mom like you!

Colleen said...

I'm jealous - we had a super busy weekend here. I love being at home too. We can always find something to do. Stay dry this week - it's going to rain here too. I am getting tired of it already : )

eas said...

This is a great post! Your kids are so lucky to have these simple moments with you. My best memories of childhood are walking to & playing in the creek behind our house.

Kristen Andrews said...

looks like a lot of fun Clare great pictures

Ang said...

This reminds me of my own childhood adventures. Your little ones are so lucky to have this access to outdoors right at their finger tips and to have a momma that enjoys it right along with them!

amanda said...

oh how much do i want a creek in our backyard!! so lucky friend!