Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Honoring a Father

I couldn’t let March 8, 2011 go by without writing about my father in law.  Five years ago we lost Brad, a husband, a father and an amazing part of this family.  Chris and I had only been married for a little over two years when this happened.  I wish that I had gotten the chance to know him better.  But, what I do know, he was an amazing father to these two men and his beautiful daughter Kim. 

Chris, Shawn, and Kim have weathered this storm and held strong when many families would have crumbled.  They talk to each other on the phone a few times a week, they text, they email.  They are connected.  Their father would be proud.  Chris has stepped up in so many ways since that day.  Not only has he been a great husband and father for our children, but he has helped Kim with picking out a new car, planning a wedding, and just filling in where a father is needed.

Chris I know your Dad is so proud of you.

Kim and Shawn are both so successful.  Shawn is running his own  company and Kim is selling medical equipment that will help doctors and nurses better communicate.  Her calling for this job stemming directly from the issues that were raised while her father was in the hospital.       

 

Scan_Pic0001

 

I could write so much more about Brad and the impact of this on their family.  But I will just say, Chris you are an amazing father.  Chris has told me that his only wish would be for his Dad to meet Bradley and Ellie and get to see Chris enjoying the moments of fatherhood.

Here are some of the images I snapped yesterday of Chris and Ellie playing after work.

There is no doubt that your father is smiling down and sees you, our family, and your amazing job as a father.

 

DSC_0160

DSC_0168

DSC_0173

I love you so much Chris and I know your father is so proud of the person you have become.

 

   

 

7 comments:

eas said...

This post almost had me in tears!!

Lindsay said...

What a wonderful post! I am sure Chris loved reading it! I know his Dad is so very proud of him! (((HUGS)))

Ang said...

There's something so wonderful about a big strong daddy being silly down on the floor with his child. When I see Mike with the babies, I know they are so lucky to have him be so present in their lives. Daddies give children something special that Mommies can't. The incredible gift of fathering that Chris got from his dad certainly lives on in the fathering Chris gives Bradley and Ellie every day!

amanda said...

my thoughts are with all of you this week...

Laural Out Loud said...

This post was so touching. I don't have a shadow of a doubt that Chris' father is watching him and your family from above.

laura said...

what a touching tribute to chris's dad...

aimee said...

Nicely said, Clare. Hugs for all the Winns!