Thursday, February 24, 2011

Naptime is Craftime {The Big One}

We are a few weeks away from celebrating this…..

DSC_0186

And I really can’t believe it!  When did an entire year just fly by?!  I don’t know how we lived through the first few months, but we did.  I think we came out on the other side thankful and more aware of the miracle of life. 

I have been pouring myself into planning her party.  I am thinking, gingham, pink, purple, yellow, just gingham sweetness.  For craftime I appliqued her first birthday shirt, using gingham fabric, wonder under, and my growing sewing skills.  Luckily for me, #1 is all straight lines, so that made appliqueing a bit easier.

I also just finished this sweet doll for Ellie Clare

DSC_0188 

Don’t you just want to pick her up and play with her?  I am in love with her stripped tights, and her tutu skirt.  This was my first time knitting a doll.  I got the pattern from this great book.  It is the same book I used to make Bradley’s snake. 

Here are some of the knitting tips I learned along the way…

  1. Seaming is time consuming when you are knitting dolls and toys.  It took me a few nights to seam together the doll and Bradley’s snake.  you have to make sure the strips line up in the back, and the colors of the shirt are going to seam up together or it is going to look funny.
  2. Embroidering the face, and the mouth were a lot more simple than I thought.  I just looked up “making a French knot” online and found a few YouTube videos showing how it is done.
  3. I got advice from my knitting teacher about her hair.  She suggested running it in groups through the sewing machine to keep it together.  That way if Ellie pulls on one piece it won’t come out.  After I sewed together the yarn in groups of ten pieces, I attached it to the doll with embroidery thread.
  4. I made the hair a little bit longer, that way if it gets lots of abuse or starts to fray I can trim it up later. 

I hope you will link up some of your crafty goodies!!  Grab my new “Naptime is Craftime” badge if you want when you link up!

 

Naptime Novels

9 comments:

Colleen said...

I should have asked you about that. I have used wonder under before and then bought something different this time. It didn't work out well as you may have read on my blog. I should have stuck with that!

Adorable colors. Can't wait to see what you come up with her for her special day.

laura said...

OMG CLARE! You need to start at Etsy shop or something! I would so buy that!!!

How are they 1?!?!?! I can't believe its "Ben" a year! A friend wrote that on a card to me this week - I can't believe I didn't come up with it on my own! ;) We're finishing getting all the stuff wrapped up for the party. My Etsy shopping cart overflowed last week! So much fun! Now, if only the weather holds out! XOXO!

eas said...

i love both the shirt and doll. gingham is so sweet and simple-can't wait to see pics from her bday. my ellie had #1 and #2 shirts like yours (made by grandma) but with pink polka dots. love your craftiness!

Jentifur said...

I want to buy 2 for my nieces! Seriously. I will send you a check. They are ADORABLE. Just call them Ellie Clare dolls. Of course, I will need one with brown hair...

aimee said...

Wow! Totally impressed! I was just going to ask you if you read The Pioneer Woman's blog, but I see it over on your sidebar :)

amanda said...

the dolls are adorable...and pretty sure they should be in your etsy shop :)

Jodee said...

Holy cow! That was a fast year! Don't blink!

Love the b-day shirt. Can't wait to see more!

Lindsay said...

ahhh I love that doll!! Good job! I obviously didn't get my post up.. hopefully I will get it up this weekend.. meaning I never got sick and Sammy was feeling better!

Krystyn said...

That doll is super cute. And, I can't believe she's almost one already.