Thursday, January 6, 2011

Naptime is Craftime "Take One"

DSC_0042

I am totally going out on a limb here and trying something completely new!  I hope you will feel inspired to join me with your ideas:)  I am really pumped about linking up for some crafty inspiration.  Twice a month I am going to post about my projects.  Big or small, silly, fun, ideas even for the kids, me, the house, decorating, just basically trying something in the craft department will work.  If you want to link up with what you are working on, in the middle of, a project you have completed, or an idea for inspiration, I would LOVE it!  So far I know my sister is on board, but that is a little biased since, well she is my sister, and she tries to be supportive of all of my crazy ideas.

No requirements...no icons to download, no "link back," none of the directions to leave a million comments, etc.  Just link up if you want to share, maybe visit some of the people listed and leave some love, or not.  This is a laid back linking event here...

On with the craftiness.  I started a new page on my blog and I am going to put pictures and links to the projects I completed here in case you want to look back.  To kick off my Naptime is Craftime I am starting with something simple.  This a blessing ring I made for our Christmas cards.  I hate getting rid of our cards, especially the pictures.  I have been keeping them over the years and they were starting to fill up boxes.  I found the idea of a blessing ring on another blog and added my own twist.  

You need a large binder ring from an office supply store, Christmas type ribbon, a wooden initial letter from the craft store (they are $1) in the section with the wooden crafts, and acrylic paint, a paint brush.  


Paint your letter any color to coordinate with your ribbon.  Once the letter dried I tied the ribbon onto the letter, but you could use hot glue if you needed to.  


Cut long strips of different coordinating ribbon.  Tie one or two onto the ring.

Pick out your favorite Christmas cards and single hole punch them in the corner.


Put the Christmas cards onto the ring, every so often tie more of your ribbon in between sets of the cards.


Taaaa-Daaa, now you have an awesome way to display older Christmas cards!  I made each child a blessing ring to hang in their room too.  I filled it with birthday cards, and Christmas cards and any other little letters they received.  Bradley loves to look through his and see his old birthday cards.



DSC_0366

DSC_0364

 I hope you enjoyed the blessing rings!  I can't wait to see what you are working on...


Side note:  Each of these rings took less than an hour to make.  The most annoying part is collecting the materials and punching the holes in the thicker cards.  




8 comments:

Jenny said...

Love it clare! I better get crafting!

Colleen said...

Hi Clare,
This is such a cute idea! And I love how easy it seems.

Lindsay said...

okay.. so don't be sad.. but I totally throw my cards away. I love them and I hate doing it but I didn't have any better ideas! Now I do :-) Adding these to my list :)

amanda said...

i just told lindsay that you two should open your own etsy store!! so much crafting going on between the two of you! so fun!

eas said...

Hi Clare, I can't remember how I found your blog but I enjoy reading it and I love this idea. So simple and I can't wait to use it for my christmas cards and daugthers special cards. Also, I have to say I share something w/you-my daughter's name is also Eleanor!

Jodee Leader said...

What a fabulous idea! Those turned out sooo cute!

Nothing crafty going on here -- just a whole lot of organizing and decluttering!

laura said...

girl - where do you find the time?! i am inspired! i loved this idea when you posted it the first time around...and to do it with holiday cards...love it even more!!!

Christy said...

I am currently crocheting a friend a baby blanket. Gah! I forgot how looooooong it took to finish a blanket.

Love this idea.