Thursday, January 27, 2011

Naptime is Craftime {Burlap and Blue}

DSC_0003-2 - Copy

I was inspired to make this wreath by some awesome stuff on Etsy.  I thought….I can do that!  I really wanted a wreath that I could use in some of the wintry months…

So I gave it a try!!  What do you think?  It was SO easy….YOU can do it too!!!  (for VERY cheap, I might add!)

You need:

one medium or large sized Styrofoam wreath

scrap burlap cut into two inch strips

a wooden monogram letter from the craft store ($1)

acrylic paint and brushes…you pick the color

some ribbon

and of course…a glue gun!

Simply hot glue gun the burlap around the wreath.  I just partly covered up my previous wrap as I worked my way around.

Paint your monogram letter.

Glue gun your ribbon to your letter, and then glue it down to the burlap.

Tie a bow with your ribbon, and glue it to secure it.

You are finished!!

Burlap is such a great material.  I also used to to make a few things last fall….

DSC_0375

I know I already blogged about this, but I wanted to share it again since I was talking about my love of burlap.  I saw this bulletin board in pottery barn for $150+.  It did have a few more details to it, but it is going to get covered up with items anyway.  I thought, I can do that!! With Chris’ help we stapled the burlap to the back of a $30 bulletin board from Office Depot.  I love it!!  It is in my office/craft space, and it is one of my favorite pieces. 

DSC_0370

I actually bought a bunch of extra burlap because it was SO cheap.  I used the extra pieces to make this fall table runner.  I just folded it together, stitched it up, and flipped it right side out.  Perfect!

Link up if you have anything crafts you are working on, or ideas to share!!

Hope you enjoyed naptime is craftime!! 

13 comments:

Colleen said...

Love these ideas. I am going to put them in my idea list. Love how the runner came out and the bulletin board is great. Trying to think what I could link up to join you. I am working on Colin's 2nd b-day things. I made one of those banners and am working on his shirt.

Colleen said...

Love these ideas. I am going to put them in my idea list. Love how the runner came out and the bulletin board is great. Trying to think what I could link up to join you. I am working on Colin's 2nd b-day things. I made one of those banners and am working on his shirt.

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

oohh my word that wreath turned out adorable!!!

Terra said...

Very cool burlap projects! I might set my girls out on wreath making...I picturing pink hearts....

laura said...

girlfriend - you (and your sis!) and your crafting is just inspiring. i have been wanting to hang a bulletin board inside our kitchen pantry to keep track of all syd's school papers, calendars, etc. but it just seemed so boring...i heart the idea of covering it in burlap! thanks for the tip!!

Christy said...

Very cute! I used to get crafty and make stuff, but I've been slacking off. I am currently crocheting a friend a baby blanket. But I've been working on it FOREVER. I don't think I am ever going to finish it. Blah.

paige said...

love the burlap wreath!! super cute my friend.
i recently brought home a ginormous framed corkboard from work...i hope to cover it in all old ledger papers, vintage letters and old or sepia photos. big project. i'll keep you posted :)

hope your little family is all doing well
xo

amanda said...

very cute friend.

still waiting for you and lindsay to open your etsy store!

aimee said...

Love the wreath! Who knew how versatile burlap could be!

Lauren @ YoungNester said...

I love the wreath! It's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

noreen said...

Wow, what a cool wreath. I will have to try it! I'm not a good crafter though... hope I can.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you knew how much burlap it took to cover your wreath? I found a great burlap trimming in the store, but have no idea how much to buy :( I really would love to make this as a gift for my mother!

thanks!

Rachel