Sunday, January 23, 2011

From the Recipe Box

untitled-0086.jpg
Last week I posted about a cleanse I was doing during the week.  It called for a smoothie every morning for breakfast.  Someone asked me for the recipe, and I thought I would share it!  I LOVE to cook, bake, and find new recipes.  I am always trying to come up with a new dinner menu!  I thought maybe I would share some of the things we love to eat over here. 

Breakfast Smoothie
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 scoop whey protein-vanilla flavored (I haven't used these before, but they really thicken up the smoothie and fill you up!)
1/2 fresh banana
3/4 cup of milk (I use a few splashes more tothin it down so it isn't too thick)
5 ice cubes
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Blend and enjoy!!


untitled-0012.jpg
Zucchini Bread
My friend Heather actually sent me this recipe with the motifications.  I have to give her all of the credit!!  I wanted to share it because it uses whole wheat flour and sneaks in zucchini, which I love for Bradley and Ellie!

1 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil
1 cup white sugar and 1 cup honey
3 tsp vanilla
2 to 3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


Directions
Grease and flour two 8 by 4 loaf pans.  Preheat over to 325.
Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon in a bowl.


In another large bowl, beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar.  Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture and beat well.  Stir in zucchini and nubts if desired until well combined.  Pour batter into prepared pans.


Bake 40 to 60 minutes, or until test comes out clean.  Cool in pan or on rack for 20 minutes.  Removes from pan and cool completely.



untitled-0002.jpg
Simple Spinach Quiche
I found this recipe in a magazine.  It is a short cut way to make a quiche.  I have made it for a few occaions lately and it has been a big hit.  It is perfect for a family with a new baby or a brunch.

1 9-inch refrigerated piecrust (bring to room temperature)
2 12 oz. boxes frozen spinach souffle (such as stouffer's) thawed
4 eggs beaten
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) grated Swiss cheese
Pepper

Directions
Heat oven to 375.  Unroll the piecrust and press it into a 9 inch pie plate or tarte pan.
Combine the spinach souflle, eggs, cheese, and 1/4 tsp of pepper in a large bowl.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell.
Bake until set in the center, about 45 minutes.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I opened this up and I thought wow, that smoothie looks soooo good! I love raspberries. Hope the cleanse is going well. I had a friend do one recently and it seemed pretty tough!!

eas said...

I just made a smoothie like this yesterday-with whey protein and all. The Zuchinni bread looks yummy and the spinach quiche is a great idea for bfast with friends over.YUM!

Lindsay said...

yum!! I need to try the simple spinach quiche it looks amazing!

Miriam said...

Clare, I love to read your posts and see all your gorgeous pics! What kind of camera do you have? I am in the market for a new one and am really impressed with your photos! Glad to see you are all doing so well!

aimee said...

Yum-o! I love new recipes too. I've been obsessed with Jessica Seinfeld's recipes lately. She uses whole grains and vegetable purees. Check her out!