Monday, December 6, 2010

Super Heroes and Super Moms

DSC_0054

Well to say that the party didn't go smoothly would be a bit of an understatement.  What could have gone wrong pretty much did.  But, there was still one happy superhero, and I discovered my superhero mom powers in the process.  

Friday night we were supposed to go out to dinner as a family.  Well, Ellie got sick, really yucky cold sick.  So, we changed things up and put her to bed early and headed off to dinner with half the family.  My Dad hung back at the house to watch Ellie.

We decided to have my parents watch Ellie for the party on Saturday morning.  I didn't want her to get anyone sick, and she really needed some rest.  Everything was ready to go; medicine, bottles, etc.  when the phone rang.  It was ACAC, the local gym where were having the party.  They told me they didn't have any power, and we could re-schedule.  Ummmm...it was 9:25 (no, I'm not kidding, chris and I checked the caller ID to see), and most of our guests were probably in their cars on the way to the party place.  So we flew into plan B, C, D, and E, which was......???.....

Invited everyone to our house, play in the basement, and call it a Superhero Party!!  Of course, I used my amazing mommy skills and printed out a bunch of superhero coloring pages, set up a craft table, all while calling people on their cell phones to re-direct them to our house.  

It felt frantic and a bit overwhelming, but luckily we also have super powered friends and family.  My mom jetted to the grocery store to buy snacks and paper products.  Greta rushed out to grab juice and spiderman fruit snacks.  Brandi made a fun trail mix from food in her house, and we called it a party!

Most importantly I think Bradley had a great time, and didn't know the difference.  That is what is important.  The capes looked great on the kids and Bradley loved his gifts.  He was one, happy, happy boy.  Deep down I felt bad that it happened like that.  I would have loved to have planned some fun superhero themed games or crafts, but it just didn't happen.  I think God was playing a little joke on my completely controlling and over planning self.  Maybe he was trying to teach me a lesson, that it can still be fun and special without going overboard!

I love you little Bradley, and thank you for being so positive and happy about the whole thing!


DSC_0090

Here is the superhero crew checking out Bradley's new bat cave that he got from Mommy and Daddy!



DSC_0086

Chloe in her superhero cape!

DSC_0084

DSC_0099

Mommy and Bradley taking a moment to get a photo!
DSC_0088

DSC_0103

DSC_0131
Sweet Ellie didn't make it out of her PJs that morning, but she did wear her super cape.  Cute little girl!!

DSC_0124

DSC_0125

DSC_0129


10 comments:

Lindsay said...

It turned out perfect!! Everyone had a blast and only you could have pulled it off!

Jodee Leader said...

Oh no! You poor thing! I would have gone into panic mode too! You did a great job with your Plan B! It looks like Bradley had fun anyway!

P.S. You look fabulous! How much weight have you lost?!

Christy said...

I always do birthday parties at home. Don't get me wrong, the kids LOVE going to the little gyms and parks and whatnot for parties. But the kids are just as happy to have a small party at home.

Glad everything worked out!

amanda said...

yay for plan b, c, d & e :)

Colleen said...

Oh my goodness! what a crazy way to start a party. Looks like it went well despite the events!!!

Colleen said...

Oh my goodness! what a crazy way to start a party. Looks like it went well despite the events!!!

aimee said...

The capes look great. Good, quick thinking momma!

laura said...

talk about a super mom!

glad the day, despite its initial crazy beginning (reschedule?! seriously!!!), turned out perfect in the end!

those capes are awesome!

Krystyn said...

Those capes are perfect!

And, it sure looks like everybody loved it.

So glad plan Q worked out for you.

Gina said...

You are a great mom!

We had the same cake for Liam's 4th Birthday!