Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Four Years...Some of my Favs

IMG_0223
Bradley, you entered the world in style.  10 days late and counting...you had us all guessing about who you were, boy or girl, and what in the world you would be like!  I will never forget the doctor coming in to tell me that you weren't doing well, and we were going to have a c-section.  I was so scared.  I just wanted to snap my fingers and have you out of me and healthy.  In the OR you showed me instantly that everything was fine, with your loud screaming and HUGE body.  8 lbs. 11 1/2 oz.  Your Daddy got to have the first peak at you and tell me that it was a boy.  I knew it all along.  A little boy that stole my heart that day and still has it.


IMG_0232

You introduced me to motherhood, and were patient with me when I didn't know what in the heck I was doing.  We spent 10 painstaking days feeding you breast milk from a syringe because you wouldn't nurse.  Oh the tears that were shed over you in those first few nights.  Then a week later you figured it out, and never looked back.  You were showing us then that you were stubborn, and not much has changed.  You like for things to go your way, and to know far in advance what our plans are.  You like routine, schedule and peanut butter sandwiches. plain.  eggo waffles. plain (no syrup).  pancakes. plain.  french fries. plain.  not much for variation, but that is OK.  You are like your father in that sense. 

I Love my Feet!

Bradley at six months old, feet in the mouth, gotta love this classic picture!

IMG_0567

IMG_1247

Then the walking and talking and toddler years hit with a bang!  You were EVERYWHERE!  It was so fun, and so hard at the same time.  You would amaze me with your words and little sentences that just seem to sprout from thin air.  We knew we were going to have a little chatterbox on our hands, and you did not disappoint!
 
IMG_1191

DSC_0181

Two years old and the memories begin.  Decorating the Christmas tree, and making cookies with Mommy.  You were potty trained and going to a little toddler preschool class twice a week.  It is so boring to say, but it really feels like just the other day.


DSC_0100-2

DSC_0485

DSC_0070
I have to admit to you though, the year 3 to 4 has been my favorite year by far.  You are SO much fun!  You have such a personality, likes and dislikes, and we have entered the world of "Why."  Which is secretly love answering, unless it is the millionth time that day.  I watched you go from the baby to the big brother in one day, and handled it with grace.  We had some rough patches, but overall you are amazing with Ellie.  I think that seeing you two together are my favorite memories from this year.  You were the first one to make her laugh, big belly laughs, and you are her favorite person, everyone else doesn't matter when Bradley walks in the room.  She looks up to you, and always will.  I hope you will grow up to be a great role model for her, and watch out for her.  You introduce Ellie to people at the grocery store, and tell them, "This is my sister Ellie. She has two teeth.  She doesn't know how to crawl" or whatever other funny anecdote is on your mind that day.  You love your family and just hanging around the house.  You make friends easily and play so well with other kids.  Some of the moms in the neighborhood have nicknamed you "the mayor."  Because you are always the first to introduce people on the playground, talk to strangers (we may need to work on this), or to get kids to play together.  

You make me so proud, especially when I see you being kind to Ellie or others.  It makes me feel like all of the hard work Daddy and I have done is starting to shine through you.  Turning four makes me so happy (for you) and so sad at the same time.  I can't believe that much time has passed since your birth.  The months literally fly by, and here we are about to celebrate another Christmas.  I know this one will be the best one yet, you are over the moon excited about Santa, but I want to freeze time.  Pinch myself.  Sneak into your room at night and watch you sleep.  Watch your little boy body, sleeping on your new spiderman sheets, in your gingerbread man pjs.  You are still so innocent.  You love Max and Ruby, Curious George, and will even settle in to watch Seasame Street.  But, I know those days are numbered.  Your entire birthday party was about superheros.  Superheros with big muscles, and shooting things from their body.  (secretly, yuck, but I am trying to embrace it!).  I will miss the little boy that drooled on the couch when Elmo was on.  That begged me to read books with him at night.  Please don't grow up too fast.  Give Daddy and I the chance to enjoy this ride, and keep soaking all of you in.  The Curious George and Spiderman loving little, big, four year old boy that you are.  I love you to pieces.  
your mama. 


DSC_0393-1

9 comments:

Jodee Leader said...

What a sweet post for your handsome little man!

There is something special about your first born! They teach us everything we know!

I love age 3-4 too -- less meltdowns and more independence!

Jenny said...

Such a sweet letter! It is hard to believe that I have been reading your blog for 2 years...what an amazing little guy you have!

Christy said...

He is adorable. Happy birthday little guy!

aimee said...

Happy Birthday Bradley! I can't believe it's been four years! Sweet post!

Lindsay said...

Love that little big nephew!! What a sweet post! Love all of the pictures!

laura said...

love this post.
love all the little memories.

happy happy #4, bradley!

amanda said...

four? it just seems so big doesn't it??

happy four sweet boy!

Katie said...

Love it, Clare!! Happy Birthday to your big boy!! So exciting, and yet kind of unbelievable at the same time! It's a special bond with the one who first called us "mommy". I'm so glad we got to celebrate with you all on Saturday! Much love!!

Krystyn said...

Thank you for the trip down Birthday memory lane!

Happy Birthday, B.