Tuesday, November 23, 2010

For the Love of Photography

DSC_0018

Since I had Bradley I have become more and more in love with pictures and photography.  In 2008 Chris bought me my first Digital SLR camera.  I was hooked. I mean hooked.  I spent hours playing with my camera and trying to get better.  Last year Chris gave me a portrait lens and I think I have definitely improved slowly but surely.  Recently I have started to have people on facebook ask me about my pictures, or who was taking them.  When I told them it was me, they were surprised.  Some have started asking me to take pictures of their families for them.   Keep in mind, I am completely self taught, and at this point I do not use any editing software.  All of the photos I take on the blog have only been uploaded into Picasa.  The most re-touching they get are red-eye or some cropping.  I would LOVE to learn about Photoshop or Lightroom, but one, step at a time, right?!

This past week my good friend Sarah told me that she didn't have any pictures of her family together.  This made me so sad, the picture obsessed person that I am.  So I told her to grab some outfits and meet me at the local university campus to take some pictures on Saturday.  What an awesome experience for me.  I LOVED it!  I know , I know, I get on these kicks...stampin, stepping, exercising, crafting, blogging.  Most of my endeavors make Chris roll his eyes a bit, but he is always supportive.  This feels different, I know there is a passion there and maybe a future?  I just still have a lot to learn.  If the only thing I learned from taking pictures of Sarah's family is how much I love photography then so be it.  But, I would love to continue with this passion and see where it leads me.  Enjoy...

DSC_0073

Sarah is one of the first friends I made when I moved here almost five years ago.  We were both at a stampin' up party (imagine that?!) and were sitting at the same table.  I thought I recognized her from college, and we figured out that we majored from the same school so we probably had some classes together.  It is such a small world.  Sarah has been such a supportive friend.  She was great when I had Bradley, and always so encouraging on the phone with me as a new mom.  She knew how long we struggled to get Ellie.  She was actually pregnant with Lexi and didn't say anything about it when I called her to tell her I was pregnant.  She was so excited, full of questions, and truly happy for Chris and I.  It wasn't until weeks later that she told me that she was also pregnant, but didn't want to take away from my moment.  Wow, you know you have found a real jem of a friend for them to cheer you on from the sidelines, when they are also feeling the same excitement and joy that you are.  Thank you Sarah for always being there, and I hope someday I can make you feel just as special!  

I loved getting to see Sarah and Evan with the kids.  They were great, and Lexi is a ham.  She hung in there while we sat her in different places and screamed and shouted for her to look at the camera.  Can you believe all of her hair?  It is that perfect baby softness too.  I love that!  I can't help but love the pictures of Evan and Sarah together, they just seem so happy.  I know they probably think I am cheesy, but once you have kids you never get your picture taken.  We were all laughing by the end of the shoot! 


DSC_0229

DSC_0175

DSC_0204

DSC_0199

DSC_0190

DSC_0181

DSC_0162

DSC_0113

DSC_0095

DSC_0087

DSC_0042

DSC_0033

DSC_0173

DSC_0171

DSC_0007

I love the pictures of Sarah laughing!  She has the best laugh and is the sweetest person.  I only wish we lived a weee bit closer.  We used to drag our kids to a little coffee shop every Tuesday to meet up and drink coffee.  Bradley was still a baby and her son was in preschool.  Now she has two kids in school all day and is busier than ever.  We still got together a lot, but since Lexi and Ellie were born things have gotten a bit trickier!  The photo shoot was definitely a treat!!
 

6 comments:

Laural Out Loud said...

Those pictures are fantastic! Especially if they're not edited. And I think you have an eye for staging. You even got all three kids to look at the camera at the same time! I can't even accomplish that with two kids.

Lindsay said...

oo Clare these turned out great!! I love all of them!

Courtney said...

These are beautiful, you have a talent!

Ang said...

Clare -You've captured so much joy and love in these pictures! What a perfect time of year to do pictures outside, too. If you ever need other people to practice with, sign us up!! I believe you can do ANYTHING, and if this becomes something you do pursue further, I have a gut feeling you won't regret it!!

3 Peanuts said...

Great job Clare! I too have a oassion for photogrpahy but I wil tell you when I tried it as a business....I lost
some of that passion...so i am back to the hobby now:)


You ought to give it a try...you will never know until you do:)

aimee said...

Great photos! I love the one of the baby with Daddy doing "the airplane!"