Thursday, May 20, 2010

Daddy's Girl (and other 8 week stuff!)

DSC_0495

I was asking Chris the other day if he felt more protective over Ellie than Bradley? He said it is different, but the same when they are little. Just so helpless and needy, it brings out the protective instincts for sure. I have been wanting to do a post about Daddy for a while...

This man has gone above and beyond in more ways than I can count lately. With all of our feeding issues in the past month Chris was working overtime. Running his own company, building our new house, and waking up all night to feed Ellie. I can't even begin to thank him for being there for me and for Ellie. I was falling apart, exhausted, and he was our rock. Letting me worry about our sweet girl, and reassuring me that everything was going to be alright. Every marriage is tested in one way or another, but it is times like those that true colors are shown.

He is so strong, so involved, and a true partner in raising our children. It is amazing when one person is weak, the other is strong. I know we will face hard times again, but I am just so happy to have him by my side through whatever comes our way.

I know this is so sappy, but I just wanted to thank him for all of his hard work!

DSC_0500

On to our sweet girl...I can't believe she is 8 weeks old TODAY! Wow!

In some ways things have completely mellowed out, and in other ways we are still in the 'tough' newborn stage. Ellie had a wonderful check-up yesterday.

Stats:
Weight: 11 lbs. 6 oz. - that is THREE pounds in one month! Crazy! 75th percentile
Height: 20 1/2 inches - only one inch...3rd percentile for height, guess she is short and chubby!
She is officially out of all of her newborn clothing, and has moved on to 3-6 month outfits!

Since all of the craziness with feeding I have just been nursing her exclusively. But, at her appointment the doctor warned me to re-introduce the bottle or she may never take it. So, we did last night, and she took it fine. It was filled with breast milk though, so that really helped! I have been trying to nurse her 8 times a day. If she only feeds 7 times she will usually wake me up more often to feed in the middle of the night. I have been feeding her every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day. We made the transition last night to her big crib, and she handled it great! She slept for 6 1/2 hours for the first time last night in awhile. The most I was getting was 5 hour stretches for a few weeks.

Today was her first day in 'napping boot camp' as I like to call it. I had been trying not to let her cry too much, by going in to give her a pacifier or pat her on the back. But, today that all ended. I laid her down for all of her naps today and she has cried some, but NO WHERE near the crying I endured with Bradley. I think the most has been 10 to 15 minutes and it is less and less each nap already. Fingers crossed that it will only get better from here!

I know some people are so against the 'cry it out' philosophy, but I have reaped the benefits and it seems to work for us. Bradley was a really hard baby, and I know I have posted about doing a lot of things wrong when he was a newborn. But, with help from a mom of three I had the courage to try crying it out. Bradley was seven weeks old, and she told me that he was just over tired. It lasted about 4 or 5 days with him, but in the end it was amazing. I ended up with a baby that could put himself to sleep, and would ask to go to bed as a toddler. He has always been a great sleeper and napper. It seems like Ellie is a much easier baby in general (or maybe I just feel more confident this time around?).

That being said, the evenings are still a tough time for us. She is usually awake and fussy from 5 or 6 until 9 or 10. Chris and I have attempted to start a bedtime routine of bath and bed. But, she is just difficult, and cannot get to sleep. Or she will just take short cat naps until 9 or 10. This is still so hard, and I can't wait for this phase to be over. I was asking the doctor about it again yesterday, and he said that it should end by 12 weeks... I keep wanting to hear some magic words of wisdom, but I just know we have to get through it. She is so agreeable during the day. It is like she knows that I am tired, trying to fix dinner and put Bradley to bed. Why not ramp it up a notch? Last night I was able to get her to sleep by 9, but sometimes we aren't that lucky.

I have been trying to respect her need for sleep and consistency. It is so hard when Bradley wants to be on the go. I am also finding that Ellie won't just sleep in her car seat wherever we go. She will nap, but not quite as long as she would at home. I pretty much will go for one nap cycle out and about with Bradley, but then try to get home so she can sleep at home too. It is so hard to strike a balance. We have been playing at home a lot more and just doing fun stuff around the house. I have been trying to go for walks or take him down to the playground in the afternoons since she is a bit more fussy around that time anyway.

I know this too shall pass, and it is good for Bradley to make some sacrifices for her as well.

Overall we have really been enjoying Ellie's coos and smiles. Every day she is getting more aware and holding her head up so well. I already feel like the past two months have flown by!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Such a sweet post..it does really sound like you are getting used to having Ellie in the family now.

Sleep cycles...oh I remember those. We used the cry method as well and Will is an excellent sleeper!

Lindsay said...

LOVE LOVE that picture of Chris with Bradley and Ellie! One proud papa! Ellie sounds like a little chunky monkey.. can't wait to see her again soon!! Love you!

amanda said...

loving the update friend - feeling a little out of the loop - so it's so great to catch up :)

loving all the daddy love too - you are one lucky mama!