Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Something to Rave About!

Now that I am finally getting my energy back, I am trying to blog a bit more. I finally got around to changing my header for Halloween. Bradley is a big fan, what do you think?

One_Lovely_Blog_Award

In other exciting news, I actually got a blog award from Houses, Couches and Babies. Thank you so much for giving me a blog award! It has been a while since I received any, and I know I haven't been blogging too much either. I am going to be a slacker with this one, and just say "Thank You" without passing it on. I know that isn't very fun, but I just have been barely keeping up with my same blogs and haven't been reading any new blogs lately. I hope you don't mind:)

I have been thinking about posting some of my favorite books for kids and for me to share with you. Bradley LOVES to read any and ALL books. I even recently uncovered a huge selection of non fiction books that he has requested every night. But some of our favorite fiction books are:

the napping house

repetitive story line that is great for retelling.

click clack
All of Doreen Cronin's books are great. This is the beginning of a few that are all about Farmer Brown and his crazy animals, so fun!

wolfs
a folk story that has a surprise ending

alice the fairy
David Shannon is every kids favorite, and this is great for your imaginative children

strega nona
Bradley just saw this picture, and screamed "The Spaghetti Book!"
A wonderful book for any age, with a great lesson to boot!


Some of you may read my sister's blog often and she is an avid reader. She is always posting about her favorite books and what is on her bookshelf. I thought I would copy the idea and tell you about some of my recent RAVES and misses in the book world. I LOVE to read, and will drive Chris crazy by staying up entirely too late to read a book. Then I will feel terrible the next day. Why do we do that to ourselves? One book that recently kept me awake at night, and ignoring my family on the weekend was:

south of broad

Pat Conroy's South of Broad. This book creates such an amazing set of characters and friendships that you are instantly hooked by the first chapter. It is based in Charleston, which I love and follows this group through 20 years of friendship. From desegregation to the AIDs epidemic in the 80s. It has a little bit of everything. Captivating, and I would highly recommend it !

love the one you're with

I finished this book while I was at the beach a few months ago. A quick and easy and fun read. Keeps you turning the pages like all of Emily Griffin's books, but I still loved Something Borrowed and Something Blue the best of her writing.

atlas book

I got this book at the beach, and it was OK. I was about three quarters of the way through when I decided that I didn't like it, but I felt compelled to finish it. I did, but I already gave it away on the paperback swap. It was interesting about the culture in India, but just didn't do it for me.

belong to me

I just started this book. It is good so far, any recommendations out there?

7 comments:

Jenn said...

The header is cute! I haven't read the book so I'm no help . I couldn't stand eggs when I was pregnant,all 5 times!

Lindsay said...

Love the new header/design! So cute! I finished Handle with Care.. when I see you I will lend it to you its really good! I am currently reading The Time Traveler's wife.. its been a little hard to get into but I am liking it so far :-)

Chelle said...

I LOVE the new bloggy makeover! Super cute and festive.

Congrats on the award! Yay you!

And we LOVE reading over here, too. Isn't Alice the Fairy amazing? I'm going to finish up a book soon and start some more. I'll let you know if they're any good.

amanda said...

loving the new festive look :)

and alice the fairy is read daily over in our world! one of our very favorites!!

laura said...

love the new halloween decor!

i'll have to try alice the fairy for syd. she's been on a big "if you give a mouse a cookie" or "pig a pancake" or "cat a cupcake" phase lately.

as for me, i LOVED the time travelers wife! the stephen follet books - "pillars of the earth" and "world without end" were phenomenal. and i just finished the new dan brown book - "the lost symbol". it takes place in d.c., so it's fun to read and know all the places they are talking about!

The Mrs. said...

Loving the Halloween header! I've heard The Help is fabulous.

paige said...

i love your book reviews. i have several on my list & keep one at my bedside at all times!

the napping house is one of my alltime faves ( ummmm, i mean my girl's faves!)
xo