Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Little Bit of Everything...

DSC_0320


This week has just been really busy! Have you ever had a week when you...


finish making 40 shower invites (that are sooo cute, but took forever!!)

make awesome pork tacos for dinner with homemade guacamole, I will put the recipe at the bottom of the post, it is so good! (those of you who know me, I LOVE mexican themed food!!)

learn two new songs for Body Step Class this week


teach two gym classes


aimlessly walk through the toy store killing time because you are having a 2 hour house showing that is in the middle of nap and its rainy outside


oh yeah, clean, vaccum the entire house (AGAIN) for the 2 hour showing (I know I shouldn't be complaining, and should be happy that people are coming to look at our house, it is just a lot of up keep!)


put in two different stamp club orders and send out order total emails


go to work on tuesday and thursday


I mean this week has been jammed packed. I am actually so happy to just be home on this rainy Thursday, and getting a chance to blog while Bradley watches American Tale! I know bad mommy, but I need a little rest time. We actually don't have anything planned offically for this weekend, and I am so happy about that. I am ready for a little family time and relaxation! Hopefully we will have some warmer days, it seems like it is just raining constantly here.


I wanted to post some of the pictures from our weekend that I didn't get to on Monday. We made Chris a birthday cake, it was really yummy, but it didn't look the prettiest. First I baked the cake early in the morning, and rushed out of the house. I shouldn't have let the cake cool in the pan. I had a heck of a time trying to get it out of the pan, and it crumbled everywhere. I don't get how I went from making this cake to the disaster this weekend. But it happened! Then Bradley wanted to help me decorate it. I was showing him how to pinch the sprinkles and spread them over the cake. Well, he just picked up the container and poured it on top of the cake. It was pretty funny!


DSC_0318


Notice the one side is completely gone, and we have a large heap of sprinkles!!

DSC_0322


Blowing out the candles, Bradley was trying to help!

DSC_0295


This is my favorite picture from the weekend! We met Kim and Adam in Richmond for a 10K race. We got to have breakfast with them and spend the morning together. We went to Maymont Park, which had a little aquarium, petting zoo, and other animals (foxes, bears, eagles, etc.) Bradley had a BLAST! We were walking to the petting zoo when the horses passed us. Bradley was yelling, "Horses, Horses!!" But, as soon as they got close he grabbed Adam's hand and was completely quiet. He was definitely a little bit afraid of them. This is totally random, but I think they were exercising the horses by walking them around pulled by a golf cart...not sure about that!!


DSC_0306


Daddy and Bradley inspecting the goats!


DSC_0310




We definitely had a busy weekend with two nights out and family and friends visiting. Next week is spring break for me (no school!) and Bradley too! We are going to relax and get some things done in the beginning of the week. Then we are heading to the beach with Chris's family for the second half of the week. I am looking forward to the trip, and getting out of the house for a few days!


When I pulled out my recipes I actually had two you might like! The second recipe is a really easy shrimp dish. I love to have shrimp for dinner, we probably eat it once a week or so. It is very healthy, and so many different ways to cook it. Both of these recipes are from "Real Simple" which is my favorite magazine!!



Slow-Cooker Meal: Pulled Pork Tacos


2 cups store bought salsa, plus more for serving
2 tbl of chili powder
2 tablespoons of dried oregano
2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 lb boneless pork butt (I got a boston butt) or shoulder
corn tortillas (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
3/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, cut into wedges


1. In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine the salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the pork and turn to coat. (The meat I bought was 7 lbs, so I cut it in half and froze the rest for BBQ later. So, I probably cooked about 3-4 lbs of meat, and I just added one tablespoon of all of the spices along with an extra cup of salsa!)


2. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours.


3. Twenty minutes before serving, heat over to 350 and stack the tortillas, wrap them in foil and back for 15 minutes.


4. Meanwhile, using two forks, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid. Serve with tortialls, cilantro, sour cream, lime and extra salsa.


If you haven't ever made homemade Guacamole, it is so easy and much more yummy than store bought. Here is how I make it:


2-3 ripe avacados

1 lime

1/2 red onion

3 plum tomoatos (cut in half and scoop out the seeds into trash, you don't want those in with the avacado, it will make it really soupy)


1. peel, scoop and mash the avacados. I like mine very cunky, so I just use a fork.


2. Squeeze lime over the avacados.


3. Chop up the red onion and plum tomoatos, and mix. I actually don't add any spices to mine, just some kosher salt. But you could definitely add some cumin, hot pepper for spice. I just like it really fresh and simple. A little chopped cilantro is also good if you have it!


20-Minute Meal

Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Couscous


1 10-oz box coucous (1 1/2 cups) plain

kosher salt, black pepper

3 tablespoons butter

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 scallions, chopped

1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled, deveined

1 15.5 oz can of cannellini beans (also called great northern beans) rinsed

1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley

2 tablespoons lemon juice (about one lemon)


1. In saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in couscous and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and let sit OFF heat for 5 minutes, fluff with fork before serving.


2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and scallions and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring until they begin to turn pink, about 3 minutes.


3. Stir in the beans, parsley, lemon juice, the remaining butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve over couscous.
This shrimp dish is soooo yummy, we have made it a couple of times now, and it always turns out excellent! Enjoy!

9 comments:

Chelle said...

Wow, hon, you have been super busy! You definitely deserved a little me time!

And your recipes sound sooo good--thank you for sharing :)

PS--that cake still looks delish! I would eat it in a heartbeat!

Krystyn said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading that!

Those pork tacos sound delish!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Oh wow--you have been really busy!!! I love all those pics with the animals--and everything is so bright!
If you are a fan of Mexican, you should come down for some Tex-Mex---best food ever :)

Jodee Leader said...

Holy moly! You have been soooo busy! Your cake looks perfect to me!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Halftime Lessons said...

Lady, you are killin me over here.

First, that cake, then the tacos.

I mean, how's a guy supposed to stay under 600lbs around here??!!

Lindsay said...

I hope the viewing went well! You have been crazy busy! I think the cake is cute because you can tell that Bradley helped :-)

laura said...

Mmmm....These recipes look delish! Thanks for sharing!!

amanda said...

i don't usually accomplish all that in a month!! good for you friend :)

and i LOVE the sprinkle cake!!

Tabitha said...

Sounds like you have had a very busy week.
The cake looks great ~
I will have to give those recipes a try ~ they sound yummy.
Love and hugs Tab XXX