Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Life Summed Up in a Garage Sale

IMG_0447
Since getting pregnant with Bradley in the spring of 2006 I have lost three out of my four grandparents. I constantly remind myself of how lucky I am. Most of them got to see me grow up, graduate from college, get married. And both of my grandmothers got to meet sweet Bradley.


Well, this weekend was another surreal moment in the time of growing up. I drove up to my Grandparent's home on Saturday to help sale the last remaining items of their life. Most of the family heirlooms and sentimental items have been divided between my mom, sister, and I. But, there are always the things that are left over.


So, my parents worked tirelessly to organize, clean up, and prepare the house for the final sale. It was heart wrenching to walk through the nearly vacant home. The rooms sounded too big from the lack of rugs and furniture. It almost seemed like all of the memories were disappearing with all of the stuff. It is a beautiful ranch style house on 5 acres of rolling hills. As I walked to the back of the house I was overcome with memories and loss. My Grandmother is still living, and luckily she is in a place close to us. They built that house 30 years ago, and I only remember visiting them there. I looked out the window and remembered the countless hours we played in the lawn, swung on the swing set, or helped them in their beautiful garden.


It was definitely a hard situation. The hardest part was watching people pick through all of the items. I have had yard sales before, I have been to yard sales, but this just seemed different. Moments like this make me realize that you just don't take any of the material things with you. The only things that remain are the wonderful memories from your family. Knowing that they will carry on your traditions and love through their own children. I am growing up, I am a mother, wife, and I have my own family. Life keeps going by more and more quickly. Hug the ones you love tightly tonight.



IMG_0448




IMG_0449



9 comments:

amanda said...

i have so been in that moment friend and it is not easy :(

thank goodness for all the beautiful memories :)

hugs

Halftime Lessons said...

Yes, those are bad days. Sorry, Claire.

Hope you can remember the best over the hard times.

Jay

Carly said...

Such a sweet post! My grandmother died a week before I had Mary Reese. B/c we were in Virginia, I was the only one in the family that was not able to attend the service. It was really hard. I try to remind myself that we can in fact keep their memory alive through stories and family traditions.

3 Peanuts said...

Beautifully stated Clare.

Kim

The Taylor Family said...

You have wonderful guardian angels looking after you now:)

Kristen Andrews said...

I know it is hard, I have lost 3 out of 4 of my Grandparents and I have such sweet memories from my time w/ them.

Jodee Leader said...

What a rough day! I can't even imagine. I love the pictures of Bradley with your Grandma.

Jodee Leader said...

P.S. I love your new blog makeover (if I haven't already told you)!

Amanda said...

What a difficult time ~ but memories of spending time with grandparents is so precious. Hold onto them.
love,
Amanda x