Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

Tis the Season!!! I thought since this is my first Christmas blogging that I would do a 'virtual tour' of our house decorated for Christmas. Please keep in mind that this is only my 5th Christmas decorating on my own as a married lady:) And this only our 3rd Christmas in this house. Each year we have added new things to the decorations. I have a few projects that I would like to spice up this year. It is so fun to pull out all of the decorations and put them up. This year was especially exciting, because Bradley was really into the whole process. He ran around the house pointing at everything. He even got into the ornaments. We would show him the different things or animals we have collected. He loved it!

I know I have posted the above photo before, but I love our tree in the front room. It is our 'silver bell' tree, with glass and silver ornaments and red velvet bows all over it! Below is a picture of our stairwell and the garland that we hang up each year!






Here is our 'family tree' that sits in our great room. We always get a real tree, and it is so much fun! I know it can be a pain, but I LOVE picking it out and loading up the truck with it. Ever since Chris and I were dating and we went on our first 'weekend getaway' we have been collecting ornaments wherever we go. So, we have a ton of different ornaments from all of our travels. I love pulling them out of the boxes, and this year we started to tell Bradley about all of the places we have gone together.

Sweet Bradley and his ornament hanging skills are still developing. He insisted on climbing on the step stool (because he had watched Daddy on it) to hang up his ornaments this year. We let him put on a ton of them. You can tell because they are all crunched down at the bottom. I left them like that because they make my heart happy!









The final product was a bit interesting, but it is staying for now!
The poor branches are a bit tired!

More pictures are below, but my sister did this fun holiday meme and I thought I would add it in to my 'virtual tour'::
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? definitely gift bags, wrapping presents is fun, but when it isn't in a box it drives me nuts to try and wrap it!

2. Real tree or Artificial? Real Always!
3. When do you put up the tree? We aim for the weekend after Thanksgiving, but we decided to wait until after Bradley's party this year.

4. When do you take the tree down? Sometime after Christmas, I start to feel cluttered by all of the decorations.

5. Do you like eggnog? NO!! and I heard on the today show that egg nog has as many calories in one cup as a McDonald's quarter pounder! (DAD, are you reading this??)

6. Favorite gift received as a child? wow, we always got great presents! I remember getting a big doll house one year that was amazing. I also remember the big ride on horse that used the springs. So fun!

7. Hardest person to buy for? Probably would be my Dad, he says he never needs anything!
8. Easiest person to buy for? Bradley

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Not yet, I have been searching each Christmas for a really nice one that isn't cheesy and I never can find one that I like. My mom has a beautiful one that was painted by family, and I just can't seem to find one like it.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? of course mail them, I make them too! they still aren't done...should probably be working on them now instead of blogging!
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? the one and only gift I got from my hubby last year............a DUSTBUSTER. let's just say that better not ever happen again:)

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? has to be the clay Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, love it!!

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I always think we will get better at shopping earlier, but we unusually start in November. Next year I am really going to try and shop earlier!

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? no, wouldn't dream of it:)

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? my grammy's fudge and cheesecake!

16. Lights on the tree? yes!!
17. Favorite Christmas song? Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree or anything by Bing Crosby

18.Travel at Christmas or stay home? we are definitely staying home this year. too much running around, we just want to be a family and hang out in our pjs if we want!

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? yes, i have read 'twas the night before Christmas' about a million times for Bradley in the past few weeks, he loves it.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? we have an angel, and i love her

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? always in the morning, we we probably open one small one on Christmas eve.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? the crowds when you are shopping

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? one room is my 'gold and red' room, and then I have blue and silver with all of my snowman/snow stuff

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? honey ham, but Chris and I were talking about starting our own food traditions this year. I'm not sure what we will come up with
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? well, i already got it! my new camera, i think that should do me until next year. but i will love watching Bradley open all of his gifts this year!



some of my favorite ornaments from our travels


i started a tradition last year that i buy one ornament for Bradley and one for Sammy (my nephew). I won't tell what I got this year yet!


gotta represent the Alma mater



from our tickets to the lion king on Broadway during our first Christmas!




this is from my future sister in law rebecca, i think it is just so cute!



This is our morning room table. I have snowflake plates that match the decor, I love it!




Another holiday thing I love is snowman. I have been collecting them for a while, here are some of my favorite little guys...










I found these snowman at Hallmark this season and I love them! Go Hokies!

My mantle has been a work in progress. I have gotten my stockings, but I wanted something to add. I also felt like I didn't have my representation of Good Old St. Nick around. I found these fabulous Santa's at Marshall's for dirt cheap. I love the wooden look, I feel like it goes well with the stone and the mantle and all.



The stockings were hung by the chimney with care...

My dining room is still a work in progress. It is currently my red and gold themed room. I just bought these two golden trees at Marshalls as well. I am hoping to get some gold plates to go on top of the red chargers I already have. Always something to add...



Well, I hope you enjoyed the Christmas tour! Any decorating ideas are welcome!! Merry Christmas!

11 comments:

Krystyn said...

Love the decorations! We have nothing close to that!

You won't see a tour here!

Kellan said...

REALLY GREAT pictures - your decorations and your house are beautiful - BEAUTIFUL!!

Take care and I'll see you soon - Kellan

Elyse said...

Your Christmas decorations look wonderful...just love them! And that is one awesome tree.

paige said...

what a wonderful home you have created! everything is so thoughtfully done.
i love your new family shot over on the sidebar.
you are so pretty!!
xo

Lindsay said...

Beautiful!!! I am totally going to do a Christmas decoration tour as well! Do we get to see the outside? Love Bradley's decorating!

amanda said...

love the tour friend :)

i too am kind of a snowman junkie!!

The Taylor Family said...

Can you do my house next???:)

Carly said...

Your house looks like the place to be this holiday season! I love your decorations and that fact that sweet Hershey has his own stocking!

OHmommy said...

I don't think you need any other decorating tips.... it's beautiful!

Laural Out Loud said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your tree! What kind is it? Your whole house looks so warm and Christmasy. I wish I could do the same, but my four year old STILL can't keep her hands off of everything. Some day she'll let me decorate.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

How pretty is that?!

we have the same stockings--PB, right?! Great taste ;)