Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Home IS where the Heart IS!

We had an amazing weekend at my husband's childhood home, celebrating the engagements of my SIL Kim and my BIL Shawn. These three are so close, and talk on the phone with each other and their Mom, every Sunday and Wednesday night. It is so great to see grown ups that still love each other so much! They have been through a lot in the past few years, and it was great to see everyone celebrating and happy. Chris spent a good part of a week working on their toast for the big celebration! It was so heart felt and wonderful. I wanted to share it with you...

I would like to welcome everyone to the farm. Thank you for taking the time to celebrate these two engagements with our family. My mom has been preparing for this fun evening for about 2 months, and Mom, The place looks great! For those who may not know me, I am Kim & Shawn’s older brother Chris. I would like to first thank our hosts my Mom, Glenda and my Aunt, Georgia . I also want to introduce my wife Clare, my son Bradley, and my grandparents Vic and Vivian. This farm is a very special place to our family because we all grew up here.

Before I start talking, I would like to introduce the guests of honor and their families:

Shawn and his fiancée Rebecca

Kim and her fiancé Adam

Growing up Kim and Shawn were big buddies. I was the older protective brother testing all the limits, and these two would watch me get in trouble and realize the things not to do. Shawn who was very, very laid back. He would sleep to noon if you let him, or be up before the sun to go hunting. He loved the outdoors, especially hunting and fishing. One thing he was famous for was procrastinating on school work . I think all his book reports in school were done about 11pm the night before it was due, a few times done by Mom. This is ironic because Shawn is the smartest of us three. Shawn went to William & Mary graduating in 2002 and is now running his own business at the age of 28. I always tease him that he can do that because he looks like the oldest with his sparkling hair doo. He has worked overseas in Copenhagen and Iraq, pretty impressive for a country boy.

Shawn and Rebecca started dating after graduating from college. We have loved watching their relationship grow over the years. Our family knew Rebecca was a special girl already, but it became even more apparent as she stuck in there through Shawn’s trips to Copenhagen and then to Iraq. Rebecca, you bring a happiness to Shawn that is contagious to others. You guys have had tests and strains on your relationship that will help your marriage be even that much stronger. You are both perfect for one another and we look forward to you becoming part of our family. Here’s a toast to Shawn and Rebecca, “May your marriage be full of fun and adventure that leaves you with wonderful memories, and a life together that is overflowing with love.”

Then we have sweet little Kim. The baby! Kim is the most energetic and hard working of the three of us. Kim would be up early going for a run, helping wash vehicles, or cutting grass. Growing up Kim was daddy’s little girl. Kim went to JMU graduating in 2004 and then on to working in the DC Area. She has settled into working for a nonprofit company that she loves and just to help save the planet will walk or bike to the metro for work. She loves to hike and workout, and will occasionally bike for 60 miles or so, hence the energetic reference.

Kim and Adam met through their jobs last Spring. We have enjoyed getting to know Adam over the past year. Adam, you have brought a brightness back into Kim’s life that had disappeared a little after losing our Dad. I thank you for that, and I believe he had a hand in pushing you guys into each other’s path. But remember he has a better view than the protective older brother, so keep on your toes. You two complement each other very well and I look forward to having you join our family. Here’s a toast to Kim and Adam, “May your lives together bring you joys and greatness that are unimaginable.”


I love you, Chris.



The beautiful tent getting the last minute touches!

Chris and Kim


The decorations were beautiful!

I loved all of the little touches that Chris's Mom and Aunt put together!

The tractor Bradley loves to play with when we visit.
It was Chris's and Shawn's old favorite toy too. It somehow made its way to the dance floor?

The centerpieces!


Back behind some of the barns, the old basketball hoop.
Tobacco growing

Someone had a little too much moonshine!


Chris giving his toast!


Bradley and Uncle Shawn!



Bradley, Shawn, and Rebecca!


14 comments:

Carly said...

The farm is beautiful! And Chris' toast was so sweet that it brought tears to my eyes! Glad y'all had a good visit.

Jenny said...

what wonderful pics...the farm just looked gorgeous for such a special event.
chris's toast was really moving, what a great hubby you have..

Lindsay said...

awesome toast Chris! The farm looks amazing. Tell Glenda I think it looks wonderful!!

amanda said...

wow!! from chris's awesome toast to the big event itself - looks like an amazing weekend!!

Jodee Leader said...

What a fun night! Chris did a great job on the toast! We live in NE so we are all about farms here!

Kristen Andrews said...

great pics! Bradley is too cute!

Mamasphere said...

What a great party! It must be so special for all the kids to have a place like that to go back to.

Heather said...

What a great way to preserve a special piece of family history! The pictures were great and Chris did a nice job with the toast. h

Heather @ A Boy, A Girl, A Pug said...

Very sweet toast. Love the decorations!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

That is a sweet, wonderful toast--congrats to the happy couple!
I love that farm!

The Mrs. said...

How sweet! Great toast! What a gorgeous place.

Heather said...

I LOVE farms. Looks like a great place.

Also, you asked how to make the pictures big on your blog.
This is where I found the directions! Good luck!
http://megan-myeverydaychaos.blogspot.com/2007/10/moment-youve-all-been-waiting-for.html

OHmommy said...

Awe.... they look so stinking CUTE. Very honestly this entire post brought a HUGE grin to my face. It is all so very sweet.

Carol said...

The farm looks wonderful especially at this time of year.

Looks like everyone had a terrific time!!