Saturday, September 6, 2008

Bina Clare


Today I lost my Grammy.


She is my name sake. She loved to tell the story about my parents wanting to name me after her. She said, "Please don't name her Bina, it is not a good name and everyone says it wrong. You should name her Clare, my middle name."


I always felt such a strong connection to Grammy. I think those of us that are the first grandchild tend to. She would come and watch me for six weeks at a time when I was first born. She loved to tell me what an easy and wonderful baby I was...she LOVED babies! We would go and visit Grammy and Poppy for one week each summer at the lake. I remember sitting on the car porch watching my parents drive off. (Now I realize they were probably as excited about this week as we were).


We would spend endless hours, I mean thousands, swimming at the lake at Uncle Tom's dock. Grammy or Poppy would sit up on the porch and watch Bridget, Lindsay and I play, make up games, and torture my poor cousin Chad!
She was a wonderful cook and baker. I have a bunch of her recipes that have been passed down from my mom to me. Her famous fudge made everyone fight over the tin at Christmas. It would get mailed down in packages and we all would be sneaking pieces in the kitchen. I am going to have to make some this holiday season. (I finally got the right pot and pan, it has to be perfect for the fudge to turn out, thanks mom!)


She was faithful to God and her church. My Dad tells many stories about getting dragged out the lake as a kid to go to different church services and events. She would always bring us to her church on the lake when we went for a visit.


She was so kind and gentle and was a total night owl. I remember coming back from my wedding reception to the hotel. It was about two in the morning and Chris and I were still on a high. We walked into the 'family room' that my parents had rented for all of the out of town guests. There was Grammy sitting on the couch talking to everyone. She loved her three children and her five grandchildren so much. We are so lucky! I know that I feel especially blessed for Grammy to have been able to attend my wedding and meet my first child.


I love you Grammy.


I started this post yesterday, but couldn't finish it. Such a wonderful person to try and put it into words is just hard.


18 comments:

The Mom said...

oh no, i'm so sorry for the loss of your grammy, i can imagine how sad you feel.

i hope you can rejoice in all the special memories!

Patrick said...

Clare --what a touching memorial to Grammy. She would have loved to watch Bradley grow up.
Love, Mom

Lindsay said...

;-( well said.. I can't bring myself to compose my thoughts yet, but you put into words so many of our memories at the lake.

Heather @ A Boy, A Girl, A Pug said...

I am so sorry honey. She sounds like a wonderful woman. What an honor to have her name.

Patrick said...

Your thoughts brought tears to my eyes. Both sad and so proud! You two girls are the product of all that wonderful love that Grammy has passed along through me to you. Love Dad/Pop-pop

amanda said...

oh clare. i am so very sorry for your loss...

hugs and prayers

Indy said...

So sorry that you lost your granny. She sounds like a wonderful woman that really loved her family and life. You are so lucky to have had such a wonderful woman in your life. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Clare,
I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. Please know that my prayers are with you.
Love,
Retta

Laura said...

Clare,

What a beautiful entry. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Love,
Laura

Debbie said...

Clare - I am so sorry for your loss. You guys have really had a rough year. I hope all the fond memories help ease the pain. Hang in there. We love you! Debbie & Trent

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

This was a lovely tribute! I am sure you did your grandma proud.
Big hugs on this painful loss!

Jodee Leader said...

I, too, am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Carly said...

Just sent you an email, but wanted to let you how sorry I am for the loss of your Granny! Love and miss you all!!!

Kristen Andrews said...

I am so sorry for your loss, she sounds like a very special lady. I had a very special connection with my Grandma also and I keep her alive by remembering all of the good times we had.

The Mrs. said...

I am so sorry. She sounds like a fabulous lady and I know you'll miss her so much. xo

3 Peanuts said...

I am so sorry Clare. I will e-mail you but I am thinking of you. I am praying for your family.

Love,
Kim

paige said...

sweet clare, i am so sorry.
what a beautiful priceless tribute you have given to grammy, your name sake ( i love the bina story :)
blessings to your familyi

Chelle said...

Oh, Clare, my heart broke reading this.

Your Grammy sounds like such a wonderful, kind, loving woman. What a wonderful blessing to have had her in your life.

(((Hugs)))