Saturday, May 24, 2008

Our Little Town

I spent most of my life growing up in Northern Virginia, in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is so much to do in the city, restaurants, great sites to see, and of course tons of shopping. It took me a while to adjust to our smaller town that we live in now. I wanted to go shopping at great malls and not have to travel 15 minutes to get groceries. Even though there isn't a huge mall nearby...but there is so much for us to do (esp. as a family). The great thing is you can actually enjoy it...you don't have to fight hours of traffic to get anywhere (15 minutes will get you just about any place in town), there isn't hoards of crowds anywhere you go, worring about losing your child in the crowd and people are so friendly.


Recently I heard some Moms talking about a great park in town. So, during the week we tried it out with some friends. Well, not only is it a beautiful park in a safe neighborhood, but they had this great water playground that turns on in the spring. So, this morning Chris and I gathered up Bradley's swimsuit and took him over to the park. There wasn't tons of people, just a few nice families enjoying the first glimpses of summer. Here are some of the photos I snapped while we were there.

All of the water features turn on with motion.
It was hilarious watching Bradley try and figure this out.

"Look at me, Mommy!"


"Wait a minute, it is getting lower!"



"Where did it go? Come back!"


"Wow! It's cold!"



One of my neighbors told me about a this great food co-op for the spring and summer. The company buys all local, organic fresh food and brings it to different drop points in town. Chris and I decided to try for the summer! It is awesome! The strawberries were sooooo good! We ate them already! Each week you go and pick up your food, and you always get something a little different. It has made us try some new foods, kale and collard greens. It is fairly cheap and the people are so nice...only in a small town....



One great part of my life this year has been MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). Our group runs during the school year, in a local church. Wonderful women of the church volunteer to watch our children for two hours while we get to listen to great speakers, make crafts, and just socialize. It has been such a blessing in my life this year. Everything in MOPS is run through your table, so you get to know your "tablemates" really well. On Friday we all met at Melissa's house and had a playgroup with the kiddies. Here is a picture of all of the kids at the end of playgroup. The only one who wouldn't sit for the picture? Bradley, of course! We missed you Kim!




2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the pictures of Bradley- ecspecially the black and white! Aunt Melissa would love a copy!!...and his little swim shorts are so cute. What a sweetheart.

Love, Melissa

Kimber said...

I am so sad that I missed it too but we were on our way to SC:( I'll be sure to be at the next one:)

I want to know where the park is and about the co-op. I would TOTALLY do that!

Kim